Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Day or Thanksgiving?

Two years ago, on Valentine's Day, Robert was still working for the Green's and had stopped by his mom's house to see Kase on his way back out to the ranch. He wanted to go with him, but he decided not to let him this time and headed out there. I was at work and the phone rang and it was "D", my boss's son, and Robert's cousin. All he said was "get my dad, tell him it's an emergency, I've just seen a bad wreck." Of course my heart is racing and I just have this gut feeling that something wasn't right. He wouldn't have called for him and said it was an emergency if he had just "seen" a wreck. "M", his dad, very calmly walked out the front door without saying a word and the phone rings again. It's Robert's mom. "Are you going out there?" Me: "Where?" Her: "Robert and "D" were just in a wreck" He had called her and told her what happened and didn't even bother letting me know!!!!! I kinda started freaking out after that so I don't really remember the rest of the conversation!


"D" had gone to pick up a couple of hogs for "M" that he had processed and was on his way back and missed a curve on the highway. Robert just happened to be the one in the way and they almost hit head on. Robert said he didn't know who it was until he saw "D" fly over his head. When I finally got out there, they had already drug "D"s pickup to town and they were picking up all the meat that flew out of his pickup of the road. The highway patrol said the only thing that kept Robert on the ground was the heavy flatbed on his pickup. Neither one of them were wearing their seatbelts and it is truly a miracle that either one of them, esp. "D" are alive. When you see the pictures, you'll see why! They were both really sore and Robert had a small cut on his leg, but that was it! "D"s dog wasn't so lucky though, they had to put him down. All I could think about was how Kase almost went with him, and if you know me, you know that I am a MAJOR stickler for seatbelts, but unfortunatley, Robert isn't. He says he doesn't want to be trapped in. If he would have been with him, he would not have made him wear his seatbelt (even though I always tell the boys to wear them when they are with their daddy, even if he doesn't tell them to) and the outcome would not have been as good as it was.


Robert's Pickup (and part of "D"s in the grill guard)












"D"s Pickup



It WAS brand new!





It's a complete miracle he is still alive!



Of course he had to pose in front of it!




I've never been real big on the whole Valentine's Day thing, but a couple of years ago it turned into my own little personal Thanksgiving Day.

No comments: